"Our family has always believed in the act of helping others. It is the core value that has been instilled in our foundation since childhood. We take great pride in the ability to partake in such an incredible program that impacts so many young lives. We encourage people all around to join together and continue giving back."
“It amazes me that I am able to be the epitome of a home without every really understanding what it was.” - Danielle Martin
Danielle represents one of the many individuals whose lives have been impacted by gracious offerings from A Sense of Home. The
beauty of this organization’s nature is that it lifts the spirits of those who give, as well as those who receive. This organization has
provided Danielle with a sense of community, work ethic and leadership skills that were never offered to her as a foster child. As
a furniture manufacturer, we understand the value of a comfortable home and the significance to raise awareness and to give back to our
Abbyson Living encourages communities everywhere to partake in this opportunity that has the inspiring ability to transition so many
young lives. The lack of external and internal security has left these foster children at a disadvantage their whole lives. They have
experienced so many obstacles and they, like the rest of our youth, deserve the chance to thrive.
A Sense of Home provides them with the tools they need to pay it forward, create a sense of self, and build a foundation for a prosporous
Why It Matters
• More than 1 in 5 will become homeless after age 18, and 50% of foster youth who "age out" experience periods of homelessness
• 58% will graduate high school by 19 (compared to 87% of all 19 year olds)
• At the age of 24, only half are employed
• Fewer than 3% will earn a college degree by age 25 (compared to 28% of all)
• 1 in 4 will be in the justice system within 2 years of leaving foster care
• 70% of all California State Prison inmates spent time in foster care
• 77% of girls sold into sex trafficking in Los Angeles spent time in foster care
• 71% of young women are pregnant by 21, facing higher rates of unemployment, criminal conviction and public assistance
• 21% of foster care alumni suffer from PTSD, a staggering rate
A young lady who lost her parents do to an illness was forced to take care of her family at a very young age. They were left homeless sleeping on the floor for the last 2 years. Abbyson Living and additional volunteers came together to provide this young lady and her family with a place to call home.